Rio Grande Research SLAM
- Overall 2022 Lab Winner: LANL
- First Place: Tessily Hogancamp, SNL
- Second Place: Kristina Meier, LANL
- Third Place: Simeon Gilbert, SNL
- People's Choice: Kristina Meyer, LANL
Contestants (in order of appearance)
- Christopher Allemang, Sandia National Laboratories
- Charles Lewandowski, Air Force Research Laboratory
- Sijo Augustine, NM EPSCoR
- Aaron Pital, Los Alamos National Laboratory
- Tessily Hogancamp, Sandia National Laboratories
- Bryan Long, Air Force Research Laboratory
- Maryanne Long, NM EPSCoR
- Mary O'Brien, Los Alamos National Laboratory
- Simeon Gilbert, Sandia National Laboratories
- Christopher Pieronek, Air Force Research Laboratory
- Sisay Arzo, NM EPSCoR
- Kristina Meier, Los Alamos National Laboratory
Three winners will be selected from each of the four New Mexico Research Institutions (Air Force Research Laboratory, Los Alamos National Lab, Sandia National Laboratories, New Mexico EPSCoR) to compete in the regional Rio Grande Research SLAM.
Individual eligibility criteria for the local event is set by the participating New Mexico Research Institutions.
Rules for Final Live Presentations
All winners (First prize, Second prize, Third prize, and the People's Choice award) will be decided at the live event.
Only one static PowerPoint slide is permitted (if changed to a virtual event, this will translate to a Teams background). The slide will enhance the presentation, but it is not the focus of the contest.
- Contestants will select a 10-second clip of a song they would like played as they are introduced.
- Presentations will be limited to three minutes. Competitors exceeding three minutes will lose points on their presentation.
- The slide is to be presented from the beginning of the talk.
- Presentations must be made on the stage (or virtual stage) at the live event.
- No additional media (e.g. sound or video files) are permitted in the slide.
- No props (e.g. costumes, musical instruments, laboratory equipment) are permitted.
There will be no more than one judge representing each individual Lab/University. Other participating Judges will be selected and agreed upon by the Rio Grande Research SLAM organizing committee. The judges' choices are final and binding.
The winner of the People's Choice award will be determined by an online poll only to members of the audience at live or virtual event. Each attendee will be allowed to vote only once. In the event that the "People's Choice" award winner is the same as the winner or runner-up in the contest, that individual will receive both prizes. In the event any of the final judges are not able to be present at the November event, the remaining judges will decide on the winner and runner-up. In the event of a tie, the chair of the judges will make the final decision. Each Lab reserves the right to replace their Lab's participating judge who has to withdraw from judging the award with another qualified individual.
Videotaping of Live Event
The 2022 Rio Grande Research SLAM live event will be photographed, streamed, and recorded. By entering the contest, you agree to allow use the resulting photographs and/or video, which may include your image or presentation, in publicity surrounding the contest and/or in other contexts, such as websites, promotional materials, etc.
How do I register for the Rio Grande Research SLAM?
The Rio Grande Research SLAM is part of the 2022 New Mexico Research Symposium. To register for the Rio Grande Research SLAM session, please register for the 2022 New Mexico Research Symposium here: https://www.nmepscor.org/what-we-do/programs/NM-Research-Symposium.